Good design is one of my favorite pleasures, and something I don't talk about in this space often. I especially enjoy appreciating it in little things — like the Contigo mug I'm demonstrating in the picture above. Full of tea, upside down and not a drop spilled own. That's good manufacturing design. But the ergonomic, cool-to-the-touch, matte black form is almost what I like more. I'd describe my design aesthetic as embellished minimalist. That sounds counter-intuitive. Here's what I mean: I like my furniture to have clean lines in solid colors, then I fill in with rugs, books, photos and other accessories to bring personality and flair to my spaces.
Oh, and plants. Always plants.
- This kitchen makes me want to remodel even though I totally don't need to.
- New research indicates that a little fat in your diet won't hurt you.
- There's a new Harry Potter spinoff movie trilogy coming.
- Should you shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? (h/t The Kitchn)
- Afterlight is a great iPhone photo editing app. I prefer it to VSCO.
- This Samuel L. Jackson slam poem about Boy Meets World is amazing. Best thing I saw all week.
- Would you back this 3D food printer on Kickstarter?
- Baked doughnuts looks pretty but they seem so, so wrong.
- Last but not least: Congratulations to all the wonderful finalists in Saveur Magazine's Best Food Blog Awards 2014! You can vote for your favorites through April 9. I'm proud to have interviewed so many of them for this little blog. I'll link to their ATTWs below.