Happy Fourth of July! I hope everyone is out there, enjoying the sun, relaxing with friends and family and capping the night off with a fantastic firework show. I, for one, am looking forward to demolishing this berry crostata (in Independence Day colors!), which I adapted from this plum version I made last summer, inspired by Jojo Moyes' Me Before You. The only changes I made were swapping out the plums for strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, and omitting the cinnamon and orange zest. I think this is a fantastic "pie" that looks and tastes like much more work than it actually is. And that's the best kind of dish, isn't it?
In case you have a few lazy moments this weekend, here are some excellent links I collected this week.
- 3D-printed books for the blind and visually impaired.
- Do we really need a robot that dispenses frozen yogurt? I mean, reallllllly?
- This 11-year-old changed Illinois law by fighting for the right to run her cupcake business from her home. Impressed.
- Oh snap, Judy Blume wrote a book for adults.
- Buzzfeed breaks down guys' personalities based on their favorite books.
- And the cover art debate rages on. How much do girly book covers affect the extent to which female writers are taken seriously?
- A look inside the IKEA Billy bookcase factory.
- Collecting kitchen inspiration even though I have no hopes of redecorating.
- I like knowing what the team at The New Yorker's Page-Turner are reading.
- This reminds me of the appetizers I made for a BBQ a few summers ago. I'd like more, minus the assembly work.
- If you're fasting for Ramadan this month, 1. Mubarak! 2. Here are the foods you should be eating in the mornings.