If you're ever stuck with leftover pie filling, I implore you, turn it into ice cream. I shouldn't have to talk you into this, but I will. If you prepare fruit for pie, as I did for this peach crostata, you have to mix it with flour. It gets weird to eat raw after that. Sure, you could cook it down and turn it into jam. But it's August! Why would you miss any opportunity to turn in-season fruit into ice cream?
That's right. You wouldn't. Here's the recipe:
PEACH PIE SNICKERDOODLE ICE CREAM
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 small snickerdoodles (ground to a powder in food processor)
- ¾ cup peach pie filling (pulsed into mush in food processor)
In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup heavy cream with sugar and salt until dissolved.
In another bowl, combine heated cream mixture with remaining cream, milk, snickerdoodles crumbs and peach pie filling. Place in refrigerator until chilled.
Once chilled, churn ice cream in ice cream maker according to machine's directions. Transfer to cold container and place in freezer until frozen through, several hours or overnight. Serve and enjoy the delicious.
And now, the links! (You didn't think I forgot, did you?)
- This tweet really puts the spotlight on how important and wonderful libraries are.
- This awesome couple in Iran turned their taxi into a mobile library.
- Bahn Mi-inspired breakfast sandwiches?! Holy...
- People have figured out how to hack junk food.
- The best literary references in one of the best TV shows: Friday Night Lights.
- I would definitely rock the Chicago version of this water bottle.
- This butter knife is the stuff of my nightmares.
- Apparently I'm not alone in my need to put my hair in a topknot before cooking.
- This app merges Instagram with charity. Finally! Your food photos could do some good.
- Latte art animals aaaaand emoji!
- So this is how Julia Child conquered the world.