I'm sitting here this morning with a cup of my favorite tea and a lemon poppyseed Greek yogurt muffin from Trader Joe's, reflecting on how much this past year has brought me. There's a soft but steady snowfall drifting past my window but fewer car horns than I usually hear this time on a weekday morning. I'm enjoying the quiet stillness.
This time last year, I was interviewing for the job I now hold, wishing for an end to the instability of freelancing. Wish granted. I was also, with my family, grappling with a loved one's serious illness. That's a challenged that I'm grateful we're still tackling. Among all the small and large changes this past year has brought, these are the two I cherish the most. What are yours?
- The foodie edition of my annual gift guide.
- This Sichuan hot pot looks insane and incredible.
- Artist Brock Davis plays with his food, and it's lovely.
- A useful (and beautiful) guide to reading cookbooks.
- My husband's favorite food is koftas. I think I could handle this recipe.
- Have you ever thought about how gross plastic lids for to-go coffee cups are?
- The United States of Thanksgiving. Mine's apparently Pumpkin Soup with Ancho and Apple.
BLACK FRIDAY BONUS
- 30% off sitewide at Book Riot's new store
- Up to 70% off at Sur La Table
- Free shipping on any order at Williams-Sonoma with code FREESHIP
- 15% off at Crate & Barrel with code SAVE15
- Kindles for as little as $49 and more deals at Amazon
- Great deals on kitchen appliances at Macy's
- Kitchenaid stand mixer for $199 + additional 10% off with code CLASSIC10 + free shipping at Target
- 30% off any item with code BFriday14 at Barnes & Noble
- Today, Everlane is sending all its profits to its factories