The TBR List: October 2
Growing up in a Pakistani-American house where we had Western food probably once a week, I never appreciated seasonal veggies like acorn squash. This year, though, I've been really embracing autumn. We went apple-picking a couple weekends ago, and yesterday I couldn't resist picking up an adorable acorn squash in Whole Foods.
So here's what I did: Preheated the oven to 400ºF, roasted the acorn squash in one dish and a baking sheet full of cauliflower, peppers, onions, garlic and herbs for about 30 minutes. Then I removed the acorn squash from the oven and topped the cauliflower sheet with parmesan cheese and broiled it for about 10 minutes, then I layered it all together and served it with couscous and spiced chicken breast. Yum.
- These are this year's literary MacArthur "Geniuses".
- Handy: the difference between evaporated and condensed milk.
- Beautiful wood and marble cheese board.
- This picture book about falling in love with a book looks lovely.
- Chicago's best vegetarian restaurants.
- A chilling longread from 2012 on how America fell in love with guns. Sadly timely now. Likely timely always.